Friday, October 06, 2006

Harvest Moon

Tonight's moon(October 6th 2006) is a full moon which probably explains all the bitchy customers and employees today.
What special about tonight’s moon?
It's a Harvest Moon, and if you’re like me you have probably heard this term for years and probably still don't have a clue what it means. (Or maybe you dont care but I'm in charge around here so I'm gonna tell you)
Apparently, after a bit of googling, a Harvest Moon occurs every fall. Astronomers have named every full moon so they can tell them apart. The special feature about this moon is the time that it rises. Normally the moon rises about fifty minutes later each night than the night before. The Harvest Moon rises only about fifteen minutes later each night allowing farmers extra time to bring in their crops.
Not that’s is very important now a days.
Fascinating.

So thats your useless fact for the day, do say I didn't try to learn you anything.

If you would like more info on local astrological events here is a website about Ottawa events.
Ottawa Valley Astronomy and Observers Group

For me it just another reminder of fall. I hate fall, I can't remember ever liking it. It's the season of death and it's just a sad reminder that summers gone and the snow is just around the corner. The one consolation for me is the leaves. I love the colour red, and there are some beautiful trees around Ottawa this time of the year. That pic over on the left is in our backyard, I don't know what type of tree it is, but the leaves turn bright red every year. The pic doesn't quite do it justice; I'll try again with brighter light later this weekend.

No comments: