Sunday, November 26, 2006

Michael Richards

Michael Richards apologized again for his racist rant today, on the Reverend Jesse Jackson's radio broadcast. If your not familiar with the controversy click here for an update.
There are two things concerning this scandal that I want to talk about.
The first thing.
It seems quite ironic that Michael Richards first apology was introduced on the David Letterman Show by Jerry Seinfeld.
Call me cynical.

I'll wait.

Jerry Seinfeld made something like 250 Million dollars from the original syndication of the Seinfeld series. I wonder why he wanted Michael Richards to apologize on national television.

It's all about money.

If people stop watching Seinfeld because of Michael's hate speech, no more residuals for the stars.

The second thing I wanted to talk about is the use of hateful names and expressions.

There are many words that most politically correct people would never dare speak.
Not unlike the N-Word used by Michael Richards.

A small aside.
I work with a lot of young people (15-20 somethings).

Over the last few years I have witnessed the increase of popularity of the expression "That's so gay".

Most of the people that I work with that have used this comment really don't mean it as an insult to gay people, but just to demonstrate how they don't like something.

Another aside.
I no longer feel the need to conceal my sexual orientation in my life. Personal or work.

Here is what I usually do when one of my staff makes this statement and I over hear it.

When I hear someone say "That's so gay" I look at them and in the most serious tone that I can muster I tell them how that I find that personally offensive.
I don't really find it that offensive in most cases, because the people saying it don't mean it as an insult directed towards me or other gay people.
It is really quite fun to watch their expression when they think that they have insulted me.

Whats the point?

Let me pause and wave my Pride flag high.

Even though most people don't mean any harm or disrespect by using this comment, they don't realize the harm that they are truly causing.

Just by the fact of comparing something they don't like or disapprove of to being gay, their disrespecting all gay people.

My mission is to equate saying "That's so gay" to uttering the N-Word.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go Jeffrey. Some good points here. Alot of my mates also say 'thats so gay' I didnt realise how this could negatively impact people's opinion of sexuality. Mmmmhh. you have me thinking now!

Anonymous said...

did I add my url:

http;//fluidsexuality.wordpress.com

I just posted about your 'thats so gay comment'