Thursday, January 25, 2007

Doctor Who and Torchwood


I remember when I was young and introduced to Doctor Who for the first time. It must have been in the late 70's when I stayed over at my grandparents house. I can't remember for sure who liked the show more, my Grandmother or my Grandfather, but I do remember my Grandmother enjoying it quite a bit.
I hated it.
I couldn't wait for the show to be over so we could watch something I liked.
It's funny how things change.
Last winter CBC started playing the new Doctor Who. I will admit at first I really wasn't that interested in it. That was until I heard that it was being directed by Russell T. Davis, creator of Queer as Folk. The original British version, that is.



The Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler


From the first episode of Doctor Who I was hooked. It's a great series that provides laughs as well as some down right creepy episodes. The episode that really creeped me out was called The Empty Child. I still get chills thinking about it. Coincidently enough, this was the episode that Captain Jack Harkness was introduced for the first time.
Captain Jack was so well liked by viewers that he was given his own spin off series entitled Torchwood.



Torchwood has not yet started to air here in Canada but will begin shortly, also on CBC. I made the mistake of searching out episodes on line and I have already watched the first season and it was as good as the Doctor, but now I have to wait another year for season 2. Captain Jack is played by a great actor by the name of John Barrowman.
If there wasn't enough of a reason to like Captain Jack there is this, which is just a nice bonus. click me

If you haven't caught Doctor Who yet and you enjoy some good sci-fi check it out, and when Torchwood starts don't miss it.
I'm sure my Grandparents would approve.

Here are some pictures of Captain Jack, The Doctor, and Rose.











No comments: